There are many important things to consider when buying a new bike, especially its safety and reliability. With a machine this expensive, you should make an investment that will keep you safe long-term. Here is some advice on how to find the best motorcycle brands:
Best Motorcycle Brands: Reliability
A recent study tested the reliability of new motorcycles. It found mechanical and structural failure rates to be about 11-15%. Below are some popular brands and their failure rates:
Failure Rates of Popular Motorcycle Brands
- Yamaha: 11%
- Suzuki: 12%
- Honda: 12%
- Kawasaki: 15%
- Victory: 17%
- Harley-Davidson: 26%
- Triumph: 29%
- Ducati: 33%
- BMW: 40%
- Can-Am: 42%
Another study found an interesting trade-off between reliability and customer satisfaction. A more reliable option may not always end up being your favorite, so try to strike a balance. Your personal tastes are still important.
Best Motorcycle Brands: Safety
Your safety while riding should be your top priority. When selecting a motorcycle, consider new or improved safety features. Do research, ask questions, and only buy a bike you feel safe riding.
- Motorcycle riders are about 26 times more likely than car users to be involved in a fatal crash.
- Almost 5,000 people died in motorcycle crashes in 2013.
- If a crash occurs, motorcycle riders are six times more likely to die than car users.
Best Motorcycle Brands: Notable Safety Features
Ducati Multistrada D-Air
This bike uses the latest technology to sense the movements of the machine to detect a crash. In the case of a crash, wireless technology communicates to a special airbag jacket that comes with the motorcycle. The airbags will deploy within 45 miliseconds of the crash movement detection.
Harley-Davidson Road King
This bike features Reflex Linked Brakes with an Anti-Lock Braking System. They report that electronic linking is used to give the right amount of pressure to the brakes of whichever tire needs it more. Also, the Road King has dual halogen headlamps, fog lights, brighter turn signals and brake lights, and more responsive steering controls to help you control your drive and be seen by others.
Honda Interstate with ABS
This long-distance bike was made for road trips on the highway. It features Anti-Lock Brake System, keeping you safer than riders without it. This ABS is optional when buying the bike, but it is well worth the extra money to decrease your chances of being in a fatal crash.
Indian Chief Vintage
This brand is noteworthy because unlike other brands that have safety features as “extra options” for more money, the Indian Chief Vintage has safety features on their basic models without question. These features include Anti-Lock Brake System, dual brakes in the front, single brakes in the back, and a detachable windshield that protects you as you fly down the highway.
Victory Cross Roads 8-Ball
This bike has the lowest seat height in the 1740cc class, which lets you as a rider maintain control at low speeds or stopped, which makes it easy for anyone, short or tall, to have control in the seat. Its 4.7 inches of room in the suspension also adds to the comfort of the ride, which lets you maintain smooth control and put safety as your first priority.
Best Motorcycle Brands: Helmets and Gear
Motorcycle rider Wes Siler explains why gear is so important in an article on riding:
“The general rule of thumb… is that you’ll lose 1 mm of flesh for every 1 mph you’re going over 30 mph when you hit it. (Extend) that to 55 mph and tell me where on your body you can afford to lose an inch of flesh. Any faster and we’re talking about wearing down into your bones too, which will likely cause a fatal bone infection if you haven’t already been killed by the impact itself.”
Here are a few of the top rated classic motorcycle jackets:
- ICON 1000 Beltway Jacket
- features leather paneling, liners, and shoulder, elbow, and back protectors
- REV’IT! Tyler Jacket
- has a sleek look while still being waterproof, protective on shoulders and elbows, and reflective
- Alpinestars Warden Air Jacket
- reflective detailing, shoulder and elbow protection, shell construction
- Olympia Expedition Jacket
- 3 layers of protection, protection on shoulders and elbows, reflective details, mesh ventilation, removable weather layer
- Helite Adventure Jacket
- airbag technology that deploys in 0.1 seconds, abrasive-resistant fabric, shoulder and elbow armor, and reflective details
Here are some of the top-rated motorcycle helmets:
- The “Apple” of Japanese motorcycle helmet brands
- #1 brand in America, popular since 1992
- They made the first full face helmet- stylish and functional
- Japanese company that hand-makes helmets and tests at every stage in production
- Originated in Italy, meets or exceeds consistently the DOT helmet standards
Make safety and reliability a priority in your search for a new bike or new equipment. Look for the best motorcycle brands in every category and keep yourself protected.
If you do get in an accident and your bike or gear malfunction, contact us with any questions you may have.
Photo via Google Images
Free Case Review